December 30, 2014
OTTAWA — The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence, today attended the deployment ceremony for Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Fredericton as it joins NATO measures to promote security and stability in Central and Eastern Europe in response to the Putin regime’s military aggression in Ukraine.The ship will replace HMCS Toronto, which has been part of Standing NATO Maritime Forces since August 2014.
· Operation REASSURANCE refers to the military activities undertaken by the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) to support NATO assurance measures through the provision of military capabilities for training, exercises, demonstrations and assigned NATO tasks as well as to demonstrate Canada’s steadfast support to Ukraine and commitment to promote security and stability in Central and Eastern Europe.
· HMCS Fredericton’s deployment in support of NATO assurance measures provides Canada with the flexibility to execute a range of missions across a broad spectrum of operations in support of Allied efforts in the region, including surveillance and monitoring, regional defence and diplomatic engagement, and capacity building.
· HMCS Fredericton is the first modernized frigate to deploy in support of Government of Canada objectives. The Halifax-class modernization/frigate life extension (HCM/FELEX) is a $4.3 billion program to upgrade and enhance the RCN’s existing fleet of frigates. The program has remained on budget and is scheduled to be completed by 2018.
· The Halifax-class modernization/frigate life extension (HCM/FELEX) includes a new Combat Management System, new radar capability, a new electronic warfare system, upgraded communications and missiles, as well as a new Integrated Platform Management System.
· HMCS Fredericton is a Halifax-class frigate with a crew of 250 personnel of all ranks, including a CH-124 Sea King helicopter and air detachment.
“I am honoured to wish the crew of HMCS Fredericton well as they set off across the Atlantic to join the Standing NATO Maritime Forces and help bring peace to Eastern and Central Europe. Canada is proud to make a strong contribution to NATO’s assurance measures and demonstrate our steadfast support for our Allies.”
The Honourable Rob Nicholson, PC, QC, MP for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence
“The deployment of the newly modernized HMCS Fredericton and its world-class capabilities demonstrates the Royal Canadian Navy`s continued readiness to respond to the security objectives set forth by the Government of Canada and to work side by side with our NATO Allies.”
Vice Admiral Mark Norman, Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy
“The crew of HMCS Fredericton and I are looking forward to being the first modernized Halifax-class frigate to deploy on behalf of Canada. We are excited and ready to continue the great work that HMCS Toronto has accomplished during its time with NATO and to uphold the Royal Canadian Navy’s tradition of excellence in operations.”
Commander Jeff Murray, Commanding Officer of Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Fredericton