Master Warrant Officer Clay Shoepp a member of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, hugs his son upon returning from Operation REASSURRANCE, Rotation 7, at 3rd Canadian Division Support Base Edmonton, on August 27, 2017.
Photo: Robert Schwartz, Garrison Imaging, 3rd Canadian Division Support Base Edmonton.
© DND/MND 2017
August 30, 2017 – Edmonton – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces
The final rotation of soldiers of the Land Task Force (LTF) in Poland returned to Canada today, after deploying for approximately six months on Operation REASSURANCE.
This rotation was made up of about 200 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) soldiers, mainly from 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry out of Canadian Forces Base Edmonton, Alberta. Since the LTF first deployed in Poland in May 2014, various rotations have participated in military exercises throughout the region to improve interoperability with Allies and demonstrate NATO’s resolve to protect Alliance territories and partners.
The LTF in Poland was deployed under Op REASSURANCE, which refers to the military activities undertaken in Eastern and Central Europe by the CAF since 2014. These efforts support NATO assurance and deterrence measures with the aim of reassuring nations in the region of NATO’s commitment to support their stability and security.
Canada continues to support NATO Allies in Europe by leading the enhanced Forward Presence battlegroup (eFP BG), which was stood up in June 2017 at Camp Ādaži, Latvia. Canada is one of four Framework Nations supporting NATO’s aim to preserve peace and prevent conflict in Eastern and Central Europe.
“The soldiers we welcome home today proudly represented Canada while training alongside NATO Allies and partners in Europe over the past six months. I’d like to thank these troops for their professionalism and diligent work while deployed, as well as their families for their sacrifice and steadfast support of loved ones while overseas.”
Colonel William Fletcher, Commander, 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group
“The Land Task Force members are proud and honoured to have served in Poland. Their hard work has increased the Canadian Armed Forces’ ability to work alongside other NATO nations and enhanced the esprit-de-corps amongst the soldiers that make up this Alliance.”
Major Michael Brooks, Commander, Land Task Force Poland
- This flight completes the redeployment of the 200-member LTF. The first group of soldiers returned to Canada on a Royal Canadian Air Force service flight on August 27.
- Following the LTF’s mission completion in Poland, the troops have returned to Canada while some of the equipment will be transferred to Latvia in support of the CAF led eFP BG.
- CAF soldiers from the last rotation of the LTF took part in Exercise ALLIED SPIRIT VI in Hohenfels, Germany, from March 7 to March 30, 2017, working closely with soldiers from Allied and Partnership for Peace countries.
- From April 24 to May 4, 2017, an infantry company from the LTF participated in Exercise PLATINUM EAGLE 17-2, hosted by the Romanian Land Forces in the Babadag Training Area in Romania.
- The LTF took part in Exercise SABRE STRIKE from June 4 to 15, 2017, in Orzysz, Poland, which was hosted by the Polish Armed Forces. Units from Estonia, Germany, the United States, Latvia, and Lithuania, among others, also took part.
- From July 13 to 24, 2017, the LTF participated in Exercise SABER GUARDIAN. Under the US Army’s lead, troops from Canada, Greece, Italy, and Romania trained in air mobile and air assault operations in a global context.