The timeline, created by Air New Zealand explores the notable events, companies, and people from California whose technological innovations helped shaped air travel as we know it today.
From early pioneers in the 1910s, through to World War II, space shuttles and modern tech companies like SpaceX.
Although California, and Los Angeles in particular, are very well known as the home of media and entertainment, their role in aviation history can sometimes be overshadowed. I thought this might be an interesting look back for your readers, at such events as:
– The first major airshow in America
– Famed female aviator Pancho Barnes sets up the Women Air Reserve
– The first and only flight of “The Spruce Goose”
– Creation of Apollo 9 landing capsules in Downey, CA
– The launch of reusable rockets by Space X Many